List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: paragraph tool
From:       André_Somers <andre () familiesomers ! nl>
Date:       2008-07-03 15:50:49

Hi,

From: "Justas Ingelevicius" <j.ingelevicius@gmail.com>
Sent: Thursday, July 03, 2008 5:10 PM
To: "For developer's discussion about KOffice" <koffice-devel@kde.org>

>> Lot's of Word users I know use character formatting to create headines
>> etc
>> where they should have used paragraph styles. (...)
> I agree with this, and have additional comment. When I get such
> terribly structured document and try to assign styles for instance in
> OOO it's hard to do that. It's difficult to see which character
> properties comes from style and which are manually overrided.
>
> So maybe it will be useful to do that user could see which  characters
> properties are manually owerided. Mark them with some mark. Of course
> all thees marks should be possible turn off together with formating
> marks.

Sounds like a plea for a WordPerfect-like "underwater view" :-)
Seriously: it is what I still miss most in Word (which I am most often
forced to use, unfortunately). It would perhaps help if you could make
formatting changes to headings and the likes directly in the "normal" view,
but instead of letting these formatting changes by default override those of
the style, give the style a property that tells you if these changes by
default go into the style itself or will override the style. For heading
styles and the like, the default for this would be "Formatting changes are
applied to the style", while for normal text styles it would be "Formatting
changes override the style". Not sure if such a thing would cause
frustration or if it would work nicely, that's what usability experts are
for, right? ;-)

André