List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: new layout of koffice apps
From:       Stefan Nikolaus <stefan.nikolaus () kdemail ! net>
Date:       2008-06-22 8:45:08

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Saturday 21 June 2008 11:23:02 Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> On Friday 20 June 2008, C. Boemann wrote:

(1)
> Well, I'm afraid I don't agree with much of your proposal. The big
> usability issues for me are the distance between the toolbox and the tool
> option widget,

> To go into details:
> > Basically:

(2)
> >  - the toolbox takes up way too much space
>
> Maybe we could move to ordinary toolbars? One for the always present
> default shape tools, one with the per shape-tools. Make the first left-hand
> side default, the second floating by default.

(3)
> >  - the shape collection takes up too much space and only kivio really
> > needs it
>
> Here I disagree completely. Don't be fooled by the preponderance of simple
> path shapes currently in the shape selector (which really should get
> categories before we release 2.0). The ability to drag an illustration
> shape, an image shape, a table, chart or text box shape into a document is
> just as important in kword. Same with KPresenter. Looking at Apple's
> Numbers I can see the same concept working very well of KSpread. Shapes for
> layers and selection masks are just as important in Krita. A stylable
> connector shape is going to do wonders for many presentations and technical
> documents.

What about following basically Thorsten's approach to solve these
three issues? To place the tool box on the left and below a tabbed
docker consisting of the tool options and the shape selector. The tool
options should be in front, because you alter shapes much more
often than inserting them.

> We shouldn't have more than one toolbar at top, nothing at the bottom.

I would say not more than one row of toolbars on top, assuming the
(still valid?) KDE screen size to design for, 800x600 pixels.

--
Regards,
Stefan