List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: KOffice website re-design
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () kde ! org>
Date:       2008-05-19 19:50:30

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Friday 16. May 2008 07:03:23 Valerie wrote:
> Just for your possible entertainment, here is a rough
> concept of what a new contribution page could include:
>
> http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/7365/contributebt3.png
>
> (art needs work, obviously)
>
> (still, overall concept, that I hope applied throughout
> the new website, is: Visual = Good. Walls of text = Bad).

I like the idea, the concept is clean and simple.
The only problem I have with it is that there are too many things to choose
from. 10 seems a bit accessive.

I'd remove 'code'. The prerequisite is that people can compile it, which is
pretty hard and people look elsewhere for that.
Translate should not be here, I think we would just confuse a lot of people by
having it there, translation is done by KDE translators.
Donate is not something i think we should ask for on the website. If people
want it we should have a simple link to the kde donations page, but it
certainly should be a second-level item (as opposed to top-level).

The 'Inform' and 'Contribute' as well as 'Appreciate' probably should be
grouped and delegated to a forum like site. Which I think should be developed
independently (as it will take a lot of resources to do so).
The big problem with a forum or kde-looks like site is that it takes various
people moderating stuff and writing new content on a regular basis. I managed
several of such sites and its not trivial. So to ensure that at least our
main site will be great, we should only start such a thing when we actually
appear to have enough manpower.

Anyway, just sharing some thoughts, keep up the inertia !! :)
--
Thomas Zander