List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: KOffice website re-design
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () kde ! org>
Date:       2008-05-14 19:35:04

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Wednesday 14. May 2008 17:56:23 Valerie wrote:
> So do any of you who have some knowledge in the field know of
> potential problems using any of them? (security, unstable, etc),
> so I don't list choices that will ultimately not be accepted?

One thing to check for is the amount of security warnings they had over the
past years, stay away from buggy ones ;)

I have mixed feelings about using a CMS. I like to be able to use my own text
editor to write the document and the current solution of using svn works fine
there.  (we could even have a git repo for the same purpose; makes updating
even easier). Anyway, getting off topic here.

My point is that we need content and we need people to keep the website
uptodate. If we can find a nice CMS that can be used for that, awesome!
If there is a CMS that allows us to connect using a rich-client (a Qt app that
sends the data via a http request, for example) that one gets a big one-up in
my eyes since that allow us to edit this much easier. (especially over really
slow connections ;)

Bottom line is that it must stay maintainable by us all; even if we get
someone very good with writing servlets and is willing to write really cool
stuff and seems really dedicated, experience shows that he will one day move
on.  The lifetime of the project is almost always greater than the services
of the contributor (yes, I'm wallpaper, I've been around koffice for 9 years,
just ignore that part).
So choose something that is not too exotic.

Other then that; all the strength to you and any web-hackers we find :)
--
Thomas Zander