List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Release proposition: Individual applications release
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () kde ! org>
Date:       2008-05-05 10:20:16

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Monday 5. May 2008 09:27:38 Cyrille Berger wrote:
> > 2. Related to 1: User interaction
> >
> > (...)
>
> I guess it mostly concern kword + kpresenter also. All in all, it would be
> possible to have individual application release of other applications ?

I'm doubtful about the value of this in the long run myself.
All apps depend on kofficelibs and we agree that koffice-libs will not be
binary compatible for some time.
This means that its Ok to have a release with Apps A & B, and later another
release with apps A & B & C & D since both those releases will have the libs
released as well.

Its not Ok to release A & B and later have a release for app C since its
likely that with the release of C apps A & B will stop working due to changed
libs.

Releasing KOffice is very important for morale, developers have not seen a
release for quite some time and thus any work done has not been actually
released.
I'm much more in favor of cutting individual features and releasing a
Technology-preview in apps that are mature enough in a couple of months.
This means that the little time that the devs have should be well spent. Each
developer naturally has to choose himself how to spent their time, but it
would be great if people can focus specifically on must-have features. And be
very harsh on what makes the cut and what does not.  Focus on what you *can*
do instead of what you think should go into 2.0 :)

I think we can make a nice release in a couple of months, and it will help us
all feel better about KOffice. A really good sideeffect will be that we will
get more user feedback, which has so far been great.  Actually releasing
something that is not fully featured will be in our favor, people will find
it easier to start contributing simple new features they feel are missing at
this time.

Bottom line is that we should lower our expectations, make the core work and
make the program able to load+save and add some basic features. Anything more
is just nice-to-have and should not get in the way of actually getting our
stuff out there to be enjoyed by eagerly awaiting users.

What do you guys think? Is it time to do the grunt work and get something out
in just a couple of months? :)
--
Thomas Zander