List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: MS filters
From:       "Ariya Hidayat" <ariya () kde ! org>
Date:       2008-03-13 23:20:09

> ...or on reverse engineering, which as I understand it is OK. Or at
> least, more OK than agreeing to a Microsoft license that would taint the
> sources ;-).

For practical reasons, pure reverse engineering will be PITA.

BTW, to add some more insights, Brian's response at
http://blogs.msdn.com/brian_jones/archive/2008/01/16/mapping-documents-in-the-binary-format-doc-xls-ppt-to-the-open-xml-format.aspx
 is:

"Folk wondering about the OSP and GPL issues,

The whole point of the OSP (and IBM's ISP and Sun's patent statement
for ODF) is that they are not licenses, they are promises not to
assert patents in specific situations.  Because they are not licenses
there is nothing to sublicense.  Because they are unilateral promises,
there is nothing anyone has to do or agree to in order to benefit from
these promises.  The promise applies equally and simultaneously to the
developer of the code, the distributor of the code and the user of the
application that is an implementation of any of the specifications
listed under these various promises.  In these instances no one has to
provide anything to anyone because they have already been provided to
them in advance."

--
Ariya Hidayat