List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: MS filters
From:       Cyrille Berger <cberger () cberger ! net>
Date:       2008-03-13 16:32:10

On Thursday 13 March 2008, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> Google[1] turns up way to many results (note
> particularly the ones from Red Hat's Truth Happens /and the SFLC[2]/)
> implying OSP is not compatible with GPL, which means we should not
> accept contributions from anyone that has looked at these documents.

From [2], "The OSP cannot be relied upon by GPL developers for their
implementations not because its provisions conflict with GPL, but because it
does not provide the freedom that the GPL requires." and  " It is true that a
broad audience of developers could implement the specifications, but they
would be unable to be certain that implementations based on the latest
versions of the specifications would be safe from attack."

From this I gather, there is no problem currently, but future revision of the
specification might not offer the same promise. And that code based on a
hypothetical _future_ revision might or might not be safe.

The interesting question is "do code written using the ___current___
specification will be allways safe and protected ?". In that case, when the
new revision comes out, with possibly, a different license, license which is
not compatible with GPL, then we will just ignore the new specification.

--
Cyrille Berger