List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Status again
From:       Johannes Simon <johannes.simon () gmail ! com>
Date:       2008-03-12 20:57:52

Let me give you a quick overview of my work on KChart:

I redesigned most of the API, so that we now have multiple classes
instead of one big ChartShape. This has the important benefit that we
can now do things with the diagrams that KDChart can't. For example,
datasets can now be attached to secondary axes, and thus have a
different scaling; say, logarithmic vs. linear. Plus, one diagram can
hold more than one chart type. The best example here probably is a bar
chart with a trend line. Nedless to say, this makes the code a lot
cleaner, as the ODF loading/ saving is now split up in plot area,
datasets, axes, etc.

Things that still need to be done or finished before the 2.0 release
are:
* a generic single-shape application template for KChart, KFormula, etc.
* the data editor (insert, remove cells, etc.)
* support for changing the cell range of a dataset in the source table
(usually something like "$Table1.$A1.$D1")
* Implementation of all the chart types that KDChart supports (fairly
easy to do)
* a couple of chart-type specific options (like the space between bars
that already is implemented)
* tools and factories for the legend shape and the label shape (some
clarification needed here, because one chart should not have multiple
tools, whereas these things need to be separate shapes internally)
* move of the SimpleTextShape from Karbon to /plugins
* the theme dialog (not as crucial as the rest)

- Joh