List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: NlNet wants to sponsor KOffice logo design
From:       Jaroslaw Staniek <js () iidea ! pl>
Date:       2008-01-22 14:24:35

Hi,
The news is great - I believe the final effect will be proffesional!

Let me use Martin's post to note down some things.
First, what does logotype mean? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logotype

So, logo is not application icon.

Secondly, logos have to be simplistic. I won't repeat notes available
elsewhere, e.g. http://www.smallbusinessbible.org/whatpurpose_logodesign.html

Martin Pfeiffer said the following, On 2008-01-21 22:04:
> Should the logo feature a "K", I would vote for it, as it is in our name and
> stresses our relation to the KDE desktop.

Perhaps everyone who wanted, already knows the relation? Others would find it
annoying that there are so many icons containing just K in KDE (without any
deeper idea) that someting as frequently used in icons as a pencil, pen or a
book/notepad.

Of couse for a "high details" version of the logotype, the K could be used
somewhere.

> Then there is a more generell motive question: common are office symbols or
> some other objects. As it is often very hard to determine them I would vote
> for just a "KOffice" text that looks nice.
> Or have "KOffice" be written with symbols for the different components, as
> long as it is possible...

Regarding KOffice text: most likely it will be _already_ used below or aside
of the logo. The text does not need to be a replacement of the sign. It can be
but as oo.org example shows, there is a problem with downscaling textual
logos, e.g. to 22x22.

Example of nice FOSS project's logo:
http://www.gotgtek.net/cms/images/stories/logo%20finalists_joomla01.jpg

Now in other post Simon said the following:
> What comes to my mind when I think of KOffice is: openness,
> comprehensiveness and integration of its components, respectively.
> Thinking about it a little bit more, flexibility is another central
> aspect of KOffice.

These are ineed properties of the project. OO.org coined "Birds" for its logo
out of openess, at least. http://www.openoffice.org/branding/images/logonew.gif

But: do we need to put there properties of the project, especially technical,
like flexibility and open development or rather do we need something one can
quickly recognize as office/creative suite? I guess the latter is nicer.
Still, for sure we want to differentiate from competition.

We have always presented 2 areas: creativity and office productivity. It is
unusual mixture compared to any competition, so I think we may want to pick
the first or the second one as a theme of the logotype. I think about 'office'
part as it is KOffice we're talking about anyway.

--
regards / pozdrawiam, Jaroslaw Staniek