List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: KOfficeSource and KOffice
From:       Bart Coppens <kde () bartcoppens ! be>
Date:       2008-01-14 20:08:48

On Monday 14 January 2008 20:52, Pau Garcia i Quiles wrote:
> The "ODF Foundation" affair comes to my mind as a "significant damage".
The ODF Foundation affair was exactly what I had in mind when writing out my
example :-)

> The problem is, is it possible to write down a list of "significant
> damages"? I think it's not. My proposal: have some sort of "court"
> which would receive complaints from people and come with a verdict.
The idea (and problem) behind a term "significant damages" is that it's open
to interpretation, so it's supposed to cover for possible damages we forgot
to mention (which is also the problem: it doesn't describe exactly what can
be worked around and what not).
Now I'm just thinking that creating a whole administrative structure like
a 'court' is somewhat over-the-top, it sounds somewhat harder to set up
properly than just calling the stuff a 're-evaluation commission', 'trademark
oversight committee' (nice one! :P) or so.
(A 'court' has several 'annoying' things associated with it, like expensive
lawyers, and fighting over proper procedures, appealing decisions up to some
supreme court, drawn-out legal battles, etc. Regulating it all would be too
much work.)

Furthermore I think the '15 days' limit is too short, realistically speaking.
If you name your company after KOffice, and then lose your right to
promote/name yourself like that, it presumably takes longer to register all
name changes legally (administration is slow, which is why we shouldn't
create much more of it).

> [that's to protect not-trademarked names which
> everybody knows are trademarked and owned by KDE eV]
Ummm ;-) So they're not trademarked, yet we know they're trademarked by the
eV? ;-)

Bart