List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: KOfficeSource and KOffice
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2008-01-14 20:06:24

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Monday 14 January 2008, Pau Garcia i Quiles wrote:
> The problem is, is it possible to write down a list of "significant
> damages"? I think it's not.

that is correct.

> "KOfficeSource hereby asserts it will never make unfair use of the
> KOffice, KDE or any other trademark owned by KDE eV or generally
> associated to KDE eV [that's to protect not-trademarked names which
> everybody knows are trademarked and owned by KDE eV]. By signing this
> document, KOfficeSource abides by the rulings and verdicts of the
> Grand KDE eV Court and will observe the decisions of the Grand KDE eV
> Cour no later than fifteen (15) days after the ruling is made public".
> (now fix my broken grammar, spelling, syntax and everything :-)

heh ... well, we can also use some fairly well defined legal concepts like
libel, etc. should we decide to go down such a path.

> Obviously the question now would be: who is in that court and who
> would preside it? I'd say the KDE eV board is the obvious candidate
> but, what happens if the malicious company in question is in control
> of the eV board? (could that ever happen?)

the usual solution is to either select in advance a suitable neutral 3rd party
arbitrator or define what such an entity would be. that way in case of
conflict of interest or impasse someone who is not an interested (though
educated) party can bring it to conclusion.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se