List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Need help with how translation files are handled
From:       Dag Andersen <danders () get2net ! dk>
Date:       2007-11-20 9:08:45

Hi,
seems I got into a mess when I put parts of kplato into separate libraries.
I didn't think about translation so now I have dug into how this is handled
and *think* I have found a way to handle it, but I would like a comment on
this from somebody who knows more, please.

It seems to me that to keep things simple, one should have one translation
file pr app, and it should be named the same as the app.
If the translation for an app is split into several translation files as we do
for all koffice apps (as we have a separate translation file for koffice
libs), things starts to get complicated.
To fix this for koffice, KoApplication is introduced that can load the koffice
translation file. However, when koffice apps are embedded into kparts apps
(like konqueror) KoApplication is not used, so a KoViewWrapperWidget is
introduced to do the job in singleviewmode.

I could possibly do the same: subclass KoApplication to add my new tranlation
files and do some magic in singleviewmode. (Hmmm, I would probably need
special treatment when I'm embedded in a koffice app also.)

However, it seems to me that when the KComponentData is created in
Factory::global(), I could add my tranlation files to KLocale as I think that
there is always a KGlobal::locale() at that point and it is the correct one.
Is this true, or am I just on walkabout?

--
Mvh
Dag Andersen