List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Release schedule
From:       jeff <akousw () gmail ! com>
Date:       2007-11-06 4:56:43

On Monday 2007 November 05 08:09:11 Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> On Mon, 5 Nov 2007, Inge Wallin wrote:
> > On Monday 05 November 2007 14:31, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> > > As for the marketing, I'm still not completely convinced by the
> > > "katelier" name. Getting away from k-this and k-that will help us a lot
> > > in gaining user acceptance.
> > >
> > > I wish we'd gone with Crysen (which means snowflake) Art or Crysen
> > > Creative for the umbrella for the art apps.
> >
> > I'm not 100% fond of KAtelier either, but it does have one feature which
> > makes it stand out: it really well counterparts the name KOffice.  An
> > office is a building where, well, office work is being performed; an
> > atelier is a building where art work is being performed.
>
> We could go the other way, and add a Crysen Business :-). And the goal of
> finding a new name was explicitly to have a package containing Krita and
> Karbon that is not in any way associated with KOffice from a user point of
> view. The fun thing in Crysen is the oblique reference to Flake.
>
> > If we go with Crysen or any other more distant name, then Krita and
> > Karbon will distance themselves really far from KOffice, almost
> > completely severing the ties except from a technical point of view.
>
> It's never been the intention to remove Krita and Karbon from KOffice, but
> rather to create an extra website and extra packages (with extra binaries
> for Windows and OS X). Getting KOffice will mean getting Krita and Karbon,
> too, and Krita and Karbon shouldn't disappear from www.koffice.org either.
> I'm not sure this strategy will work, since we already have a strong brand
> and recognition in both KOffice and Krita, but it's worth a try. We have
> had a very clear message from users that a "Real Artist" never considers
> components from an office suite for real work.

It might be noticable that there is more than one distinction.  Looking at the
website, I see several different groups, like productivity, creativity,
database, and reporting (kugar).

It might not be a bad idea to, instead of just delivering a heap of apps, and
then 2 others, create several such groups, like (not real
names)KoProductivity(Kword, Kspread, Kpresenter), KoCreativity (the
Krita/Karbon team), KoData/reporting (kexi and kugar released together), and
then create something like the koffice shell for each group.
Then, Koffice would consist of all several groups (who says there have to be
only three).