List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Release schedule
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2007-11-05 7:55:51

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Monday 29 October 2007, Inge Wallin wrote:
> On Sunday 28 October 2007 21:39, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > On Saturday 27 October 2007, Jos Poortvliet wrote:
> > > Point is that these numbers are mostly based on very vocal users. Take
> >
> > just wanted to note that Jos is pretty much on the target here.
> >
> > it's great to work with kubuntu, don't get me wrong, but let's retain
> > some semblence of reality .. and try not to piss off our other partners
> > in this world in the process.
>
> Absolutely!
>
> That said, I think that Kubuntu is currently the only distribution where
> KOffice has the chance of becoming the default office suite in any
> foreseeable future.

if you mean "word processor and spreadsheet" then yes, i would agree. and with
what KOffice 2.x will bring, that comes largely down to an issue of filters
for MS Office now.

but i really think there's a general selling short of Kexi here, and
kpresenter could with some love really go far. KPlato could also find a good
place as its niche is really not well covered (most useful free software
entries are web apps). Krita is coming along wonderfully as well.

certainly, however, Kexi is an app that should stand a chance on many
platforms. the problem is almost purely marketing.

<brain dump you probably don't need or want>
after all the discussions about finding a way to market the individual apps in
koffice, this is probably obvious. but i get the sense from your mail here
that we still tend to refer to koffice as an "all or nothing, lump sum"
package of tools.

if i were to have the time/energy/focus to spend on koffice, i'd probably
focus my energies on promoting Kexi and Krita as stand-alone apps. one foot
in the creative world, one foot in the information world.

i'd then think about introducing other koffice apps on the coat-tails of those
two apps. as each app matures into its niche, start promoting them from
coat-tail-riders to front-liners.

obviously this needs to be done with sensitivity to the efforts being put into
kword, kspread, kpresenter, etc ... but honestly, the halo effect from a
successful marketing of Kexi and Krita would probably increase their user
base more than anything else could at this point.

the biggest thing to impress on the community at this point is that these apps
are individuals (i'd even go so far as to suggest breaking up the koffice
package into separate tarballs) and that just because you don't like $APP_X
(for sound or baseless reasons) doesn't mean you can't enjoy all the beauty
of $APP_Y.

become nimble.
</brain dump you probably don't need or want>

> What do you mean with 'semblence of reality'?  In which aspect are we
> delusional?

now now, i didn't say delusional .. the semblence of reality i refer to is
this: *buntu is doing very well in the community and increasingly well in the
actual market place, but that it's by *far* not the dominant player there.
i'd also caution against expecting current success to be a guarantee in the
future; eggs and baskets and all that.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se