List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: *Magick
From:       Benoit Jacob <jacob () math ! jussieu ! fr>
Date:       2007-10-24 15:26:51

On Wed, 24 Oct 2007, James Richard Tyrer wrote:

> Boudewijn Rempt wrote:

>>> Aha yes, NIH.  Is it compatible with OpenEXR and CTL?
>>>

>> James, you clearly don't know what you are talking about. You're
>> jumping to unwarranted conclusions on no basis at all.
>
> You seem to totally miss the point of my sarcastic remark.

Then I missed the point of your "sarcastic remark" too. I understood it as
Boudewijn did. So I think that your remark's meaning was unclear.

> Perhaps there is a language barrier than makes your remarks sound much
> more arrogant than they are intended.

No, _you_ are being arrogant _right now_. So you're a native english
speaker, and most of the koffice developers are not. Conclusion: when you
write to this list, it is _you_ who must ensure that the meaning of what
you write is clear enough.

> I have always missed something here.  Does the GPL say that a GPL
> program can not be linked against a non-GPL library.

Only if that library is available under a GPL-compatible license. Most
Free licenses are GPL-compatible:
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/license-list.html
But it is illegal to link a GPL program under a GPL-incompatible-licensed
library.

Well, I guess that the linking itself is legal as you are free to do what
you want inside your own computer, but the redistribution of the linked
binary is illegal. IANAL.

> If that is the
> case, how do people use nVidia video drivers with Linux?

This is illegal, according to many people including some Linux kernel
developers, but I am not skilled enough to have an independent opinion
there, so I will only give this link:
http://www.oreillynet.com/linux/blog/2006/08/why_binaryonly_linux_kernel_mo.html

> For that
> matter, how do they use X11 which is not GPL.

Not GPL, but I guess GPL-compatible, so there's no problem at all.

> The AMPAS's license appears to be basically the same as BSD.

I can't tell, I guess only a lawyer could. I don't know either the
software that you're talking about.

Cheers,
Benoit