List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: *Magick
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2007-10-24 15:00:14

Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Oct 2007, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>
>> Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
>>
>>> We've got our own hdr implementation for years, for instance.
>>>
>> Aha yes, NIH.  Is it compatible with OpenEXR and CTL?
>>

> James, you clearly don't know what you are talking about. You're
> jumping to unwarranted conclusions on no basis at all.

You seem to totally miss the point of my sarcastic remark.

You state that you have "our own hdr implementation" when in fact, Krita
uses the OpenEXR library (the same as ImagicMagick does).

You appear to have presumed that I don't know that despite the fact that
I build from source.  What would lead you to miss that?

Perhaps there is a language barrier than makes your remarks sound much
more arrogant than they are intended.

<SNIP>

> No, it's not compatible with CTL, because CTL is unfortunately
> incompatible with the GPL.

I have always missed something here.  Does the GPL say that a GPL
program can not be linked against a non-GPL library.  If that is the
case, how do people use nVidia video drivers with Linux?  For that
matter, how do they use X11 which is not GPL.

The AMPAS's license appears to be basically the same as BSD.

	http://www.oscars.org/council/ctl.html

	http://www.opensource.org/licenses/bsd-license.php

Compare them, some of it is word for word!!

You can do anything you want with the code as long as you retain the
copyright notice.  The BSD license is not incompatible with GPL.  Yes
the copyright notice is a pain, but we aren't going to distribute the
library, just link against it.

--
JRT