List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Please stop using kdefx (call for help)
From:       Matthew Woehlke <mw_triad () users ! sourceforge ! net>
Date:       2007-09-26 15:12:36

Thorsten Zachmann wrote:
> On Wednesday 26 September 2007, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
>> I'm making a last bid to eliminate kdefx and deprecated stuff in
>> KGlobalSettings before the sdk release October 3. Even though I
>> basically have *next monday* to do this, according to lxr it looks
>> achievable... with one major hurdle.
>>
>> Hopefully, by now you have guessed that the hurdle is koffice. Alas, my
>> hard drive space is not copious and I already have more packages lying
>> around than I would really like, and koffice is not one of them :-(.
>> Plus there are quite a number of lxr hits (in koffice), and I'm pretty
>> much out of free time as of five minutes ago.
>>
>> So... I am trying to recruit some koffice developers to help out,
>> particularly with KImageEffect removal. Also if someone can fix the
>> KGS::highlightColor usage in kugar before I get to it, that would be
>> wonderful.
>>
>> If I can get a little help with koffice, we should be kdefx-free in 4.0!
>
> Anything under /koffice/kpresenter/old/ can be ignored as it is no longer
> compiled and there only for reference. No idea about the other stuff.

Yes, I know to ignore .../old/... and .../obsolete/..., but that leaves:

  /koffice/kexi/widget/utils/kexigradientwidget.cpp (3 hits)
  /koffice/kexi/widget/utils/kexigradientwidget.h (8 hits)
  /koffice/kivio/kiviopart/kiviosdk/kivio_fill_style.cpp (3 hits)
  /koffice/kivio/kiviopart/kiviosdk/kivio_fill_style.h (3 hits)
  /koffice/kivio/kiviopart/kiviosdk/kivio_screen_painter.cpp (11 hits)
  /koffice/kspread/Object.cpp (35 hits)

...and of course kugar, and for good measure one lone KPixmapEffect hit
at koffice/kexi/kexiutils/utils.cpp, line 313.

If I don't get help with koffice, but get the other stuff done (pretty
hopeful there), then I guess one solution is for koffice to have the
dubious pleasure of taking over kdefx :-). This way koffice won't break
but we can have kdefx gone from the sdk release.

Please understand it's not that I have anything against koffice, just
that koffice is about 50% of the remaining porting work, and my time is
limited. Therefore moving kdefx to koffice (if needed) is the most
promising course of action to get it *out* of kdelibs with the amount of
time I have available. I'd much rather someone from koffice help out so
we don't have to go there :-).

--
Matthew
"Passion is inversely proportional to the amount of real information