List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: New KOffice sprint
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () kde ! org>
Date:       2007-09-25 8:02:59

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Tuesday 25 September 2007 01:21:16 Martin Pfeiffer wrote:
> My list of UI things that need work:

These points have actually been discussed on the second flake meeting (in
Deventer well over a year ago).
Maybe it needs repetition, sure. Its been quite a while ;)

http://wiki.koffice.org/index.php?title=Flake/2006_Meeting_Minutes

I think thats a bit the point I was trying to make in this thread; we have
discussed a lot of issues and we actually decided on them.  But lots of those
have simply not been acted upon just yet.
The request to meet *because* there are things to discuss doesn't seem to take
that into account.  My solution for that would be to use Skype :)
you can find me under skype-id; thomaszander

> - dockers ( start configuration, general look, concept behind them )

The start configuration is a bit buggy; I plan to work with the Troll behind
the concepts this week to make sure things like
KoDockFactory::defaultDockPosition() can return Qt::DockMinimized and
actually appear hidden on startup.

> - tool handling - I don't want to move the mouse pointer always between
> shape and tool, makes things very slow. Having the tools for zooming and
> paning in the same docker with a text cursor does not make sense for me.

The way Boudewijn and I designed this (in a real-life meeting that went until
the wee hours) is a bit different from what we see now. Its currently a bit
messy due to the many plugins not following the vision.
Most important is that each shape type has one or maybe two tools each.  While
the common tools would be something like a maximum of 4 tools in our
expectations (there are 8 now).

But the difference between dynamic and static tools seems to be underused, for
sure.  This is why I'm a bit disappointed that nobody has taken the simple
steps to make krita tools plugins for other apps to use. As that would allow
us to show the toolbox for the first time in its full glory in apps like
karbon/kword.

See;
http://lists.kde.org/?l=koffice-devel&m=114951219603257&w=2

> - shape selector ( there are quite some thin

Thats a plugin that is not finished, but feature-complete enough for a 2.0
release.
See;
http://wiki.koffice.org/index.php?title=ShapeSelector
which has the full plans on what it should eventually look like.

> - rulers ( look ugly, hide numbers partly ... )

Its clearly unfinished and definitely needs work, yes.  The unreadable numbers
are also a sore point to me.
Casper promised to finish the ruler before the previous alpha release, as he
had various issues with it himself.  I guess if someone else wants to pick it
up he would not mind :)

> - integration of dockers into menus to switch them on or off.

Hmm?  We already have that for free in kdelibs. (Settings->Dockers menu)

> - look/layout of the statusbar, menubar

That IMOHO is really tweaking/polishing.

Please do look at our http://wiki.koffice.org/index.php?title=KOffice2/Goals
page. We always wanted to release KOffice2 as soon as a core set of
functionalities was in place. There is life after 2.0 we can do the things
that impact users less after that release is out.  Providing more info on the
statusbar and the usability tweaking is really not something that should make
our release slip (again IMOHO).

--
Thomas Zander