List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Bidi
From:       Stefan Nikolaus <stefan.nikolaus () kdemail ! net>
Date:       2007-07-03 10:08:04

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Hi Thomas,

On Tuesday 03 July 2007 11:20:04 Thomas Zander wrote:
> The point here is;  I placed the key in the KoText namespace (as
> KoText::BidiDocument) and I want to know if there is a broader interrest
> in this concept of Bidi-ness, for example in kspread, which would be
> cause to move that key up to the KoResourceProvider namespace itself.
>
> Let me know!

sure, there's interest. Not only for the Bidi text functionality, but for
KoText integration. One of KSpread's long time TODOs. ;-)

Before I (or someone else) could start with the integration, some help or
advice would be tremendously useful. Now, that you've mentioned it ...

What exactly IS KoText? An extended QTextDocument? If so, extended by what?
Does it provide painting routines or can those for QTextDocument/QTextOption
be used? If not, is it possible to share the painting code? In KSpread the
painting of the cell content is done in CellView by simple
QPainter::drawText() calls. There's also some layouting code, which is mainly
truncation or line wrapping, if the text does not fit into the cell geometry.
I would very much appreciate, if all those layouting and drawing could be
done by calling a single method, that takes the text and the rectangle the
text should be painted in (like QTextDocument::drawContents). That raises the
question: What is the proper class to store the text? A cell can contain one
or more paragraphs. Is there

About the editing facilities: Would it be possible to activate the text shape
related tools, if the line edit on top of KSpread's canvas gets focus? Is it
possible to replace KSpread in-cell editor (ui/Editors.cpp|h) with a
temporary, not manually resizable text shape, which has the same geometry as
the cell (at least in the beginning)? Does the shape managing provide such a
temporary shape without adding it to the R-Tree? Then, the related tools
would be activated as usual, I think.

You see, these are most of the question I had regarding the KoText
integration. Wether I am able to implement it is another story, but I think
some answers to these questions could also help others to do the job. ;-)

Regards,
Stefan