List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Bidi
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () kde ! org>
Date:       2007-07-03 9:20:04

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Hiya;

over the last days I've been tackling right-to-left text (which is quite
advanced now :).

One thing that I did was to auto-detect if there was any non-normal text
typed at all in the document.  So if a user types Right-to-left
characters while the app is left-to-right, or vice versa, I state that
the document is Bidi.

After determining that the document is Bidi[1], I show extra Gui elements
that are otherwise not visible.  There is a button on the
text-tool-options docker that allows the user to toggle direction, and
there is a combobox in the kword page dialog for the same thing. Both
only shown when the document is Bidi.

Now; I communicate this change by having a boolean on the
KoCanvasResourceProvider.  Which requires a key as a unique ID.
All standard so far.

The point here is;  I placed the key in the KoText namespace (as
KoText::BidiDocument) and I want to know if there is a broader interrest
in this concept of Bidi-ness, for example in kspread, which would be
cause to move that key up to the KoResourceProvider namespace itself.

Let me know!

1) Bidi stands for bi-directional. Which is special since its a mixture of
left-to-right and right-to-left. The defaults may be not enough for the
user, where it is enough when the whole doc is either RTL or LTR.
--
Thomas Zander