List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Fwd: [office-comment] Data Type Specification and Conversion
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () kde ! org>
Date:       2007-06-08 10:02:04

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Friday 08 June 2007 11:35:43 André Somers wrote:
> An issue might arise if you start mixing currencies though. Problem is
> that they do not have a fixed exchange rate, so you can't just mix them
> without telling what their exchange rate is. Worse, this rate varies in
> time, and thus might just change within one sheet.
> Still, the idea is interesting!

I'd say that any addition of numbers that are not of the same type[1]
(say, percentage and currency, or US currency and euros) should all
generate a warning or even an error while typing the equation or running
the sheet.

In other words; doing currency conversion is something the sheet should
not try to do automatically.

1) technical background requires me to say that numbers without explicit
type should be able to be joined with anything. This allows you to
convert from euro to US by multiplying it with a plain number which
avoids problems in the above mentioned restrictions ;)
--
Thomas Zander