List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: OpenDocument MIME icons
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2007-05-15 8:35:15

Robert Knight wrote:
>> I was going to work on this but now I have been insulted by an
>> Oxygen developer.  He called my HiColor icons prehistoric.
>> Actually, that isn't an insult since they are not supposed to be
>> artsy, they are generic.
>
> Are we talking about a mailing list or an IRC conversation?  Just to
> make sure that there are not two separate discussions going on in
> different mailing lists about this topic.

This is a migrating discussion.  It started on KDEArtist and moved over
here.

> Plus, it isn't clear from your email whether this is the view of just
>  one particular contributor to Oxygen ( who you haven't named ) or a
>  consensus.

Don't know.  The remark is on the other list.  IIUC, it was from a major
contributor.

> Does this person agree that there is a problem with the current
> icons?

No, he thinks that there is nothing wrong with the highly detailed icons.

> I agree on the basic point about the current mimetype icons for ODF
> not working well at small sizes.  My main concern is that the colours
>  used are pale and cannot be used to tell them apart.

The colors become pale as they are mixed with the background color.

> Here is a very common use case:  I have 20 or so documents of varying
>  types in a folder, I am interested in the spreadsheets in
> particular, and want to open one to make changes.
>
> http://www.robertknight.me.uk/files/kde/oxygen-odf-mimetype-problem.png

So, as a better illustration, I made a Oxygen style icon [attached]
which is rendered in 64x64.  Compare this with the 6x64 Oxygen from SVN.
  Note that even in 64x64 that this is blurred.  The text in the actual
Oxygen icon is black (000000) with 80% opacity which is actually darker
than the lines representing text in my icon (9B9B9B).  However, this 80%
black is mixed with the background color and results in a lighter shade
in the rasterized image.  The smaller the size, the lighter it gets.  I
note that with the similar HiColor icons that I needed to make hand
optimized PNGs for 48x48 and smaller to maintain the contrast.

--
JRT

["application_vnd_oasis_opendocument_.text.png" (image/png)]
["application-vnd.oasis.opendocument.text.png" (image/png)]