List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Looking ahead for further alpha releases
From:       "Ariya Hidayat" <ariya () kde ! org>
Date:       2007-05-14 11:47:23

> The OpenFormula SC is providing a testcase spreadsheet file for this
> as well, so there generally isn't much need to create our own tests -
> although having them can never hurt.

Some advantages having our own tests (in order of importance):

(1) We're sure that even with broken loading code, the tests can still
be executed properly. This is because our tests are executed directly
by the formula engine, not from external file.

(2) When someday all KOffice unit tests are invoked automatically and
periodically on some server, this can give us instant and/or
convenient notifications if something is broken. Something like
EBN/krazy will be always handy.

(3) We can put more tests quickly, no need to submit/propose it to the
SC first (and keep sync all times). I can imagine if someone file a
bug report about some function, the test case can be placed
immediately to prevent regression in the future.

(4) For more extensive test with all corner possible cases, e.g. for
EUROCONVERT function. It looks paranoid and I doubt we event want to
clutter the OpenFormula spreadsheet test with that kind of tests.

(5) We can test functions which are not specified in the OpenFormula.

(For the last few points, I'll be happy if we may freely push all our
tests to the SC).

Regards,

Ariya