List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: koffice wide icons
From:       Jarosław_Staniek <js () iidea ! pl>
Date:       2007-05-01 16:33:47

Thomas Zander wrote:

> Just some items;
>
> * I don't see the difference between align-pos-to-grid and align-grid.
> Perhaps you can give an example?  And I have to ask, do we really need two
> quite similar functions?
> I'd love to only have a 'align-to-grid' button.

That was exactly the reason why I tried to ping you yesterday :)
(1) align-pos-to-grid only affects position, (2) align-grid can affect
position and size. I am aware having two actions adds bloat -- but now the
question (not so obvious) is which one is better/more frequently used?

Use case for (1): user has set perfect size for her objects (e.g. some sort of
graphics) and want to position them well within the global grid -
align-pos-to-grid action will keep size of the object untouched

Use case for (2): user has positioned a few objects by hand in a grid; several
objects have sizes not being an exact multiple of grid size. Then the user
wants to align all the objects so all their corners are aligned each other,
what results in better look.

> * clear-table-contents is not used by anyone other than Kexi, and I don't
> really see the use for other apps, really.  Unless I'm missing something,
> I think this can safely be moved to the kexi-only icons page.

This action was the most recent proposal for shared specs. It's in fact
similar to combination of select-all + delete.
Being aware that the action is in Kexi for historical reasons and (even more)
because there is no select-all action yet (due to certain properties of data
model), I am ok with keeping the action as Kexi-only.

--
regards / pozdrawiam, Jaroslaw Staniek