List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: gSoC ideas?
From:       Sebastian Sauer <mail () dipe ! org>
Date:       2007-03-08 4:21:48

Robert Knight wrote:
> Sebastian, I think I may have missed some earlier discussion.  What
> does OO.org have to do with mono?

Ah, I guess you where talking about the OpenXML stuff that seems to be shiped
just today. While I still miss the part at my fav news-portals that says,
that the Novell OpenXML<=>OpenDoc impl does depend on Mono, it seems I
missinterpreter your prev mail then :)

> What I had in mind was somewhat simpler:
>
> 1.  User selects file in unsupported format.
> 2.  KOffice offers to use a 3rd party tool to produce an ODF document
> 3.  KOffice runs that tool in the background and loads the ODF
> document when finished.
>
> Where "3rd party tool" is a simple command-line program with syntax such
> as:
>
> ooconvert -i input.docx -o output.odf
>
> All KOffice needs to know is:
> 1.  Name of the 3rd party tool
> 2.  What formats the tool is expected to be able to handle
> 3.  Syntax for running the tool ( probably a string in the format
> "%NAME% -i %INPUTFILE% -o %OUTPUTFILE%" for example )
> 4.  Name of the generated ODF file given the input filename.
>
> The process for saving the document would be similar.  Save as ODF by
> default and provide easy access to 3rd party tool to do the conversion
> to a different format.
>
> No linking with additional external libraries, no code dependencies on
> anything outside of KOffice.  Quite do-able in a couple of months I
> should think, IF (and this is a big IF) the 3rd party tools exist or
> are simple to create.

What sounds like a good idea but I would not agree about the timeframe cause
to get such a thing written may need even with bunches of tests+documentation
not more then 2 weeks im(h)o. On the other hand, the points above do not name
anything related to the question how this could be configured (GUI) and I
also ask myself what the second point may include (create a "whitelist" for
tools + the needed args for them? and/or let the user configure it somehow as
point 3 indicates?).

I guess it may need not long cause KDE ships with powerful possibilities to
run processes already. While it's somewhat strange that nobody did wrote such
a tool before - or maybe I just did miss it and it already exist somewhere?
maybe it works already by using one of the commandline-apps? - I guess the
code wouldn't be that much and only contain some basic functionality using
KRun (or to whatever if was renamed in trunk if it was renamed at all), build
upo the string that should be executed, moving files around / let e.g. KWord
load the result.

But business as usual I may absolutly wrong here or still just didn't
understood it correct. So, if you guess it's a good idea and that there exist
the possibility to get approved, then go for it :)

--
Sebastian Sauer aka dipesh[sebsauer]
http://www.dipe.org/public_key.asc