List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Connectors (was koffice)
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () kde ! org>
Date:       2007-02-28 16:28:44

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Wednesday 28 February 2007 16:23, Thorsten Zachmann wrote:
> On Wednesday 28 February 2007, Thomas Zander wrote:
> > I think the question should be if we want to manipulate shapes in the
> > same way as we want to manipulate connections.
> > After all, if you subclass a shape you _add_ functionality, you don't
> > take it away. Thats the basis of object-oriented design.
> > And I don't think we should be able to move connections, and the spec
> > even says we can't rotate and skew and scale connections either.
>
> I see no problem here. We also have layers and so on which are not be able
> to scale and skew.

Just because we already made layers an exception (can not be selected) is not
a good reason to make more exceptions.

> I think you want to make it possible to select a connector.
Sure, as I said in the wiki page.

> Why should this
> be handled completely different than for shapes. The only difference is
> that it can not be modified by the default tool.

Did you read the wiki page? Since that is answered there.
Its suppost to be handled differently because if you select a connection you
see the connection options, not the generic shape options.
And it for sure is not the only difference.  In fact, I see only one thing
that is similar between shapes and connections. The fact that they have a
z-order.
Drawing is different, you can't connect connections, you can't set the
background gradient of connections, you can't add connections to the
selection (but you can select them ;) etc etc.

> So you want to implement all that you have for shapes again for connectors?
> Like commands for delete, adding to the doc. Also when it is done
> differently we need special code to do saving and loading.

I think if you think the implementation through you'll see that you can't
actually share much anyway.
I mean; how many shapes have (upto) 2 other shapes as the parameter in its
constructor?

Trust me, I've been thinking about this for a very long time.
--
Thomas Zander