List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Some details about encrypted documents
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () kde ! org>
Date:       2007-02-19 16:44:40

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Monday 19 February 2007 06:49, Thomas Schaap wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been implementing encryption for documents in KOffice for some time
> now. I've taken quite some time, but it's definitely done, except for
> some details.

Cool  :)

> Most important of all, I need a generic thumbnail for an encrypted
> document. Since a thumbnail is required by the ODF standard, but an
> encrypted document logically shouldn't have a picture showing it's first
> page to the whole world, the standard also suggests using a generic icon
> for these. I don't know if any icon for this exists. If not, where can I
> place a request for it?

on the wiki.koffice.org there is a page about icons. You can add it there.

> The rest of the issues to be solved concern usability, mostly. First of
> all the description: the implementation simply lists encrypted
> opendocument in the list with filetypes in the save-dialogue.

I'd like to avoid having just 2 choices.   1) fully encrypted,  2) not
encrypted.
I'd love to eventually have partly encrypted. Just some chapters for example.
Making the encrypted document have its own mime-type and entry in the
file-dialog limits our choice.  It also stops us to add a checkbox in the
document-info dialog to encrypt the document. And things like warning the
user that if he saves the doc in, for example, RTF that the doc can no longer
be encrypted.

In other words; I'd love to be able to save documents as normal, and have
the 'checkbox' in the koffice-wide Gui somewhere.  The result would be a
normal ODF file with the same mimetype and all.  Just with the contents
encrypted.

> A possibility I have not implemented yet is for applications to [retain]
> the password the user gives when opening a document.

I think that as soon as the document is in memory and even on screen, the
majority of the secret is out anyway.  Holding the password in memory seems
like a good idea. IIRC there are KDE classes that can do this for you.
Btw. does your encryption layer allow for other encryption standards?  Like
GPG and/or SMime ?  Both password less.

Oh, is there a way to see your work in real life?  I naturally have trunk
compiled, but I'd like to know how I can get a real encrypted doc written
out :)

Thanks!
--
Thomas Zander