List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Some details about encrypted documents
From:       Thomas Schaap <t.m.schaap () student ! tudelft ! nl>
Date:       2007-02-19 5:49:37

Hi,

I've been implementing encryption for documents in KOffice for some time
now. I've taken quite some time, but it's definitely done, except for
some details.

Most important of all, I need a generic thumbnail for an encrypted
document. Since a thumbnail is required by the ODF standard, but an
encrypted document logically shouldn't have a picture showing it's first
page to the whole world, the standard also suggests using a generic icon
for these. I don't know if any icon for this exists. If not, where can I
place a request for it?

The rest of the issues to be solved concern usability, mostly. First of
all the description: the implementation simply lists encrypted
opendocument in the list with filetypes in the save-dialogue. Currently
it's named 'OASIS OpenDocument SpreadSheet (encrypted)' in KSpread. It's
the '(encrypted)' part I'm interested in, of course. Is this a clear
description or should it be changed? Alternatives are '(with password)',
'(password-protected)' and the like.

A possibility I have not implemented yet is for applications to retrieve
the password the user gives when opening a document. One possible
use-case for this is not asking the password again when the user saves
the document. It's a use-case with two sides: on one side there's the
usability of not having to enter the password again and again, on the
other side there's the insecurity of not needing the password to make
changes once the document is open. I'm not sure, at the moment, which
one of these is more important.

Last but not least there's autosaving. Currently autosaving of encrypted
documents is disabled by hardcoding. In it's current implementation
encrpyted autosaves can't be handled by Ko2, for the simple reason that
autosaving would require the user to enter the password, which is rather
cumbersome. Deciding on having the application know the password of the
opened document (see above) would immediately solve this problem, but
deciding against it leaves another question to be answered: should we
enable (or give as an option?) unencrypted autosaving of encrypted
documents? It gives the user more protection against loss of work, but
does allow an attacker with access to the computer to determine the
contents of encrypted files without having the password by reading the
autosaves.

I'd like to know the opinion of you folks before pushing my own
decisions on end users.

Kind regards,

Thomas Schaap