List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Notes on koffice unit tests
From:       Jan Hambrecht <jaham () gmx ! net>
Date:       2007-02-12 11:48:17

Thomas Zander wrote:
> On Monday 12 February 2007 12:11, Jan Hambrecht wrote:
>> I looked up the z-index definition in the odf spec as well as the
>> svg-spec. It seems that the z-index attribute is not well defined. Odf
>> just points to use the svg:z-index. But in svg the rendering order is
>> only defined by the order of the elements inside the document.
>> See http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/render.html#RenderingOrder or
>> http://wiki.svg.org/Rendering_Order.
>
> z-index is a very old concept that all apps know. I'm sure I don't have to
> explain it.
> The drawing order in current svn is something I choose to make the effect be
> what you expact from the z-index concepts.
> Which means the lowest z-index is drawn first so another can be drawn on top
> of that.

I am aware of that and i am fine with what you have done in flake.

Actually this mail was not meant to trash the z-index, rather to point
out that there is still some flux on how that will finally be defined in
the svg as well as the odf spec.

> If you look at KoShape you will notice a hasTransparency() method. If that
> returns false then you can avoid drawing any object that is completely hidden
> below it.
> There is no code for that just yet, as its an optimisation that I postponed
> until I have less to do.  But its important to keep in mind when creating
> this.
> Its also why in my other email I stated that the hierarchical painting for
> hierarchical shapes is a good thing.

Yes i prefer that too, but again that would break the z-order painting.
And what is with the shape containers z-index?
As long as the the z-index works document wide and can be abitrary set,
there are cases with unclear rendering order.
Or do i miss something?

> Notice that the KoShapeGroup is just a convenience class where the difference
> lies in selection.  Other than that the shapes are just like non-nested
> children of a KoShapeContainer.

Ack.