List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Using KChart
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () kde ! org>
Date:       2007-01-18 0:01:19

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Thursday 18 January 2007 00:32, Inge Wallin wrote:
> A quick way for you to  embed a chart into KPlato is to move kchart/kdchart
> into the koffice libraries, and then make a Flake shape out of it. You can
> use the kdchart API directly, no reason to go into KChart at this time, and
> when I get more time, I can add tools to it that implement the
> configuration dialog. This dialog will probably be implemented as a Flake
> tool.
>
> What do you think?  And btw, Thomas, you are probably the biggest authority
> on Flake right now, what do you think?

First that the kplato guys stated some time ago what they need a charting
engine for, and its more formula driven than data driven. Meaning kchart is
not really what they need.
Just writing a QWidget with a custom paintEvent will have better effect,
faster.

Second, a little off topic, I think you missed a lot of details on how to
integrate kchart with flake ;)  No need to move sources to libs, for example.
There are some docs for you to read when you get to that point ;)

Thanks for your in-depth answer, though!
--
Thomas Zander