List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Using KChart
From:       Inge Wallin <inge () lysator ! liu ! se>
Date:       2007-01-17 23:32:38

On Tuesday 16 January 2007 23.55, Frédéric Lambert wrote:
> Hello everybody!
>
> I'm have to add a chart widget in a pannel of KPlato and i'm wondering how
> can i use KChart do do that or if any others chart widgets exists.

Hi Frédéric, and the others.

I think I should answer some of the questions that were brought up in the
earlier mails and this one. I am the maintainer of KChart, and as Thomas said
have had far too little time to work on it as much as I should.

KChart does use a commercial widget called KDChart as it's main engine. It was
donated under the GPL by its creators Klarälvdalens Datakonsult AB (KDAB) to
be used by KChart. The KChart classes and adds only a few extra features to
it, the main work is done by KDChart.
 - Encapsulation into a KPart so that it can be embedded into other KOffice
components as well as other KDE applications, e.g. konqueror.
 - A configuration dialog
 - A wizard

That was for 1.x.  For 2.0, several things must be done:
 - Exchange KDChart 1.1.x for KDChart 2.0, which is based on Qt4 instead of
Qt3.
 - Embed it into a Flake shape as well as a KPart.  The Flake shape is for
embedding in koffice, and the KPart for embedding in other KDE applications
like konqueror.
 - Load and save in the OpenDocument Format.

I have already imported KDChart 2.0 into the KChart sources in the directory
kchart/kdchart.  The old 1.1.4 sources are in kchart/kdchart1, and they will
be removed when kdchart 2.0 is fully integrated.

A quick way for you to  embed a chart into KPlato is to move kchart/kdchart
into the koffice libraries, and then make a Flake shape out of it. You can
use the kdchart API directly, no reason to go into KChart at this time, and
when I get more time, I can add tools to it that implement the configuration
dialog. This dialog will probably be implemented as a Flake tool.

What do you think?  And btw, Thomas, you are probably the biggest authority on
Flake right now, what do you think?

	-Inge

--
Inge Wallin               | Thus spake the master programmer:               |
                          |      "After three days without programming,     |