List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: A simple place for complex settings, KOffice-wide
From:       Jaroslaw Staniek <js () iidea ! pl>
Date:       2007-01-10 19:37:24

David Faure said the following, On 2007-01-10 14:33:
> On Tuesday 09 January 2007 19:49, Jarosław Staniek wrote:
>> [2] http://www.port80software.com/200ok/blogimg/about-config.gif
>
> And this is more useable than konqueror's configuration dialogs because
> .... ??

Because I can type "file" (translated) and can quickly see all the options
related to it (works very well assuming a rich enough dictionary is set up).
Options are related each other like in a graph stuctue not just a tree. Users
do search, not browse once the tree is larger than a big screen.

It's not a replacement of handcrafted GUIs, it's a tool that enables the same
feature as in KControl. I mentioned Konqueror because it is most obvious
candidate for such addition, even if the first user of the stuff would be
Kexi, then KDevelop.

> This doesn't even look translatable. Very useable indeed.

You could use your imagination a bit here :) Whenever I show a screenshot of
an external app I do not propose to copy the implementation 1-to-1, but I am
showing a functionality or an idea. Here the idea is a way to search through
my options.
Imagine, the window is basically it's a property list (can be a tree as
well), it's items are well translatable. AND in fact already translated -
since Kexi 0.1 - e.g. take a look at the property editor in Kexi's form and
table designer.

> I wouldn't mind a kconfigxt-based GUI (with real checkboxes and spinboxes
> etc.) with a way to type a filter (I didn't look at kconfigeditor yet, I
> hope it can do that),

It's supported by koproperty (even setting colors and images is supported
since 2005) as well as kconfigeditor (which in turn uses previous "version" of
koproperty by A. Dymo).

> but I certainly veto an english-only list of settings based on
 > yet-another-framework
> for config options. No, we do NOT need to reinvent the config-options wheel
>  every year. There are enough other people doing that already, out of kde.

i18n() and KConfig are used there, nothing more so far...

> All this from the background color setting issue yet again? Let's just add
> a color button
> to kword and kpresenter's config dialogs and let's be done with it :)

It's just example, multiply this one item by 50 or more (depends how much a
given app is going to compete with OO.org).

Another thing beyound scope of this discussion is: sharing options between
apps, like in OO.org.

--
regards / pozdrawiam, Jaroslaw Staniek