List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: KSpread 2.0: some issues
From:       "Tomas Mecir" <mecirt () gmail ! com>
Date:       2006-12-25 12:59:21

2006/12/25, Ariya Hidayat <ariya@kde.org>:
> I'm doubtful that spreadsheet users will need to work with
> quaternions. Thus, floating-point and complex numbers seem to be good
> enough in the mean time.

Yes, I agree. I just like to think about possibilities unbeknown at
the time. Perhaps to the point of over-engineering, it seems.

> I believe, until you are in full agreement with this, I'm not going to
> be able to convince you any further, i.e. you'll keep repeating again
> your point (on ValueCalc's rationale) and so will I.

Oh, ValueCalc is going to stay regardless on whether your Float type
goes in or not. It will only be used in less functions. It still
provides important things like the arrayWalk routines for range
functions, and such. It will also be useful in situations where we
don't want to worry too much about speed, but just want something "to
work".

Another thing to keep in mind are formatting hints. ValueCalc
preserves these in operations (part of reason why it's slower), direct
calculations don't, and functions will each need to call the relevant
ValueCalc routine (don't recall the name) to preserve these.

> Alternatively I start a branch where I work on my Float proposal and
> then we can have a comparison. I prefer not to do this because it
> requires more effort, but if there is no other resolution...

No need to. I am well aware that your version with no conversions and
direct FPU usage would be faster :) Not sure how much faster, but
probably enough to make it worth it without my conscience screaming
something about premature optimisation.

Alright. Let's do that. Given that the OpenFormula thing also only
considers real and complex numbers, I guess it's safe to hardcode for
the two.

Are you going to start work on the thing anytime soon ? It has sort of
arousen my interest, so I guess I feel like writing the thing if you
aren't going to, as the idea does have interesting aspects to it.
Might take a while though as my time is a bit limited.

/ Tomas