List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Progress notification
From:       Jaroslaw Staniek <js () iidea ! pl>
Date:       2006-10-22 22:22:17

Thomas Zander said the following, On 2006-10-22 19:43:

> Goals I think I reached:
> * threadsafe
> * be able to handle more than one concurrent action
> * be safe
> * be cancelable
> * non-modal
> * be fast
> * be really easy to use
>
> Does anyone outside of Krita need this? Or is this something we can just put
> in Krita?

Great, Kexi 2.x (x is probably > 0) is going to be built on top of
multithreaded data access, so many things there will be non-blocking.
The progress classes in kofficecore could be usefull.
Ideas:
- create an thin interface for displaying progressbar's information
(setRange(), setValue()) instead of depending on QProgressBar; at least two
benefits:
-- CLI mode can be possible to implement
-- displaying progress information without QProgressBar can be possible (e.g.
in Kexi's case painting QStyle "progress" primitive on a table grid, where a
single cell's loading is very slow or delayed)

Also, another step could be a TODO: a GUI for displaying sub-steps, e.g. like
in KMail when multiple mailboxes are checked.

--
regards / pozdrawiam, Jaroslaw Staniek