List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Trying db-aware combo boxes in Kexi
From:       Jaroslaw Staniek <js () iidea ! pl>
Date:       2006-07-26 22:04:14

Adam Treat said the following, On 2006-07-26 23:30:

>>I am aware of this issue. I've been talking to Adam Treat about this issue
>>in 2004 or later. Th econclusion was that there would be a danger of
>>overengineering. The apps are similar but DataKiosk is viewer or mostly
>>read-only db schema while Kexi is highly read-write in this topic.
>>Moreover, there was (and still is) no workforce for starting and
>>maintaining this effort.
>

> That might have been true at the time, but Datakiosk is very good at writing
> to the database now too.
>
> OTOH, I don't think that Datakiosk's multi-column combo boxes would be very
> easy to port to Kexi nor would it make much sense.
>
> The multi-column combo boxes in Datakiosk were based on KComboBox and a rather
> ugly hack around KCompletion* classes.  It works quite well, but for anything
> based on Qt4 or better, I feel this hack should be resolved and
> KComboBox/KCompletion should support multi-columns natively.  The KCompletion
> classes could stand a complete overhaul taking into account QCompletion and
> Qt4's model's.  I probably won't be the one taking on this task, however ;)
> Time is limited and I'm concentrating on KDevelop right now.
>
> In my experience the multi-column combo boxes are often populated with
> hundreds of rows and absolutely require robust completion to be productive.

Sure. Adam, thanks for this addition. BTW, I've not yet employed KCompletion
in Kexi's db combobox, it's planned after doing some simple usability
research. Anyone to help?

Regarding to the efficiency for real-world data sets: of course at the lower
level, data preloading is a must, but this is not a big problem as both Kexi's
and Qt4's data models enable data sharing. Much more advanced hack could be
multithreaded data access, an everlasting TODO.

--
regards / pozdrawiam, Jaroslaw Staniek