List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Collaborative editing / Versionning for koffice
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-05-30 12:53:29

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Tuesday 30 May 2006 12:43, Cyrille Berger wrote:
> > This is a sole versioning problem; not a collaborative editing
> > problem.
>
> Well I disagree, and agree at the same time, versionning and
> collaborative are the same problem. Even if my "multi-document work and
> sharing" doesn't seem to need design, the ressource has to be share
> through the same channel as the colaboration around a single document,
> I mean, imagine now that Anton and Bernard want to add the pictures of
> the guys they are invinting, and each of them has half of the pictures
> of there friends, the missing pictures must be exchanged automaticaly
> too.

Hmm, I suggest you start defining what you want; since this just throws a
another use case on the same heap and call it the same 'collaboration'.
Not usefull to talk about stuff.
If we start with use cases we can end up with required technologies.
Turning it around makes for frustration and duplication.

What about you start a wiki page with no more then 3 distinct use cases
1) synchronous editing between 2 people (copy paste from my email)
2) a-synchronous editing shared in a group. Others will not see my changes
until I save or even email them.
3) role-based, a-synchronous editing. Users either edit text or an image
or do markup. So each user has a role. This covers the 'multi document'
idea.

Naturally; you can come up with an infinite variety of use cases. But its
important to note that we cover 80% of the cases on first try. Note also
that most cases can be a combination of just these 3.

ps; please enable your spell checker. Makes it a lot better to read your
emails if there are not so many errors in there.
--
Thomas Zander