List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Does Kword respect printer margins from CUPS?
From:       Niels <zorglub_olsen () hotmail ! com>
Date:       2006-05-26 14:31:23

On Friday 26 May 2006 15:41, David Faure wrote:

> On Friday 26 May 2006 14:09, Niels wrote:
>> However, the point of a common KDE
>> print system must be that I make printer settings in one place, and then
>> each application use those settings. Otherwise, what are the settings
>> for?
>
> 1) There are two kinds of applications. Those that do page layouting, and
> those that don't. KOffice belongs to the first kind, and that means it has
> its own page layouting, including page margins.

That's a good explanation.
But this system isn't completely obvious, is it? For me, the presence of
KDEprint says "this is where the printing part of KDE is configured". When
I discover that my printer has hardware limitations to printing (margins) I
want to tell my KDE system how the printer must be handled, so that all
applications that print will have that information. Anyway, that's how I
figured it...

> The margins specified in
> KControl (cups) apply to apps that do NOT perform their own page
> layouting, like khtml or kate/kwrite/kedit etc. - when printing from those
> apps you can see a tab in the print dialog where you can adjust the page
> margins, and the kcontrol module sets the defaults for those.
Ah! I see.

> 2) If you had two printers, how would KWord know which printer's margins
> to use when creating a new document, anyway?
Neither, unless I specifically tells it to. There's not necessarily any
connection between a document and my printer. Maybe I don't want to print
the document at all.
I think the printer settings should only come into effect when I actually
try to print a document. If the printer's margins are larger than the ones
set in the document, I should get a warning. I think Microsoft Office did
that ten years ago (I haven't used it since) and Openoffice also has some
kind of warning when printing.

Kword currently doesn't have a way to remember margin settings across
documents, apart from making a template, right? That means that I have to
remember the margin settings and set them in each document. That's slightly
inconvenient.

Thanks for your answer. My system work as it should, I just didn't
understand the details.

//Niels