List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Flake to koffice/libs
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-05-26 6:57:25

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Friday 26 May 2006 07:06, Thorsten Zachmann wrote:
> Hello,
>
> > People are getting anxious to play with Flake in their applications,
> > and since at least the checklist for KWord is fully satisfied, I
> > think we should do the move this week.
>
> Thanks that you ask but half a day between asking and doing might be
> not enough for everybody to give his opinion.

Don't worry; svn is always in flux and changes can be made continuously.
Use the inertia!

> > Questions;
> > -  Where / what:  koffice/libs/flake or koffice/libs/koshapes or
> > other? - Who will create a bspline shape that all apps can use, and
> > provides the tools to use it.   I don't have an opinion if that means
> > create a new library or just put those classes in flake.
>
> I think we should have a KoPathShape which does all the svg handling.
> It will be responsible for all kind of objects when it is implemented
> even for rectangles. The reason for that is that you like to be able to
> modify all the points of a rectangle. The way karbon does this at the
> moment looks like a good start. Each object still has to know if it is
> a polyline/rectangle until it is deformed so that it can no longer
> saved as this kind of object. The reason for this is that we want to
> save a rectangle as a draw:rec and so on according to OpenDocument.

I think I formulated my question wrong, then. I don't doubt we want such a
shape at all; I doubt we want to base it on a QPrinterPath.
I discussed the item with psd on IRC yesterday and we came to the
conclusion that we will have to look at this at a later time when karbon
code can be ported.  So we can remove the implementation of KoPathShape
and replace it with Karbon code.

> Will it be possible to use flake inside koffice the same as the one of
> the playground. I ask as this as I like to know if I will be able to
> use flake without allways updating kde first.

Its a direct copy; so yes.  It goes something like this:

cd sources/kde4
cd flake
mv lib lib-orig
ln -s ../koffice/libs/flake lib