List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: -version-info in koffice 1.6
From:       Jaroslaw Staniek <js () iidea ! pl>
Date:       2006-05-15 13:28:30

Thomas Zander said the following, On 2006-05-15 13:29:

> On Monday 15 May 2006 12:48, Jarosław Staniek wrote:
>
>>libkwordprivate has 4:0, same for kformula
>>
>>One thing I'd want to achieve is to have all major versions increated,
>>what is safer while packaging.
>

> More accurately; it allows multiple versions of KOffice to be installed
> without surprises.
> Having all versions the same means its just 1 change we can then put in
> the release-guidelines.
>

>>So far, I noticed the highest ver is 4:0. Can we have all (except such
>>3rdparties like kexi/3rdparty/kexisql/) the libraries' versions set to
>>5:0:0 by hand in 1.6? I can commit this.
>

> Since kword and kformula are not developed in 1.6, I'd say that 4.0 is
> enough.

BTW, General question: no matter these are developed or not; won't these be
relased for 1.6? I am asking because updating the whole koffice-* set of
packages (example taken from Fedora) can be cleaner for end user than having
kword 1.5 and krita 1.6 installed (and two versions of koffice-core - I think
there can be conflicting files between 1.5 and 1.6)...

> ps. Is it usual to increase with whole numbers instead of with minor
> numbers as well?
> i.e is it possible to have KOffice 2.0 show libxyz.so.5 and show KOffice
> 2.1 with libxyz.so.5.1  ?

Only if libxyz.so.5.1 can be BC replacement for libxyz.so.5.0. The problem is
that (looking at your example: for KOffice2.1) distros will install
libxyz.so.5 symlink to libxyz.so.5.1, so this will replace this symlink:

libxyz.so.5 -> libxyz.so.5.0 (from KOffice2.0)

That's why increasing major version allows to coexist multiple versions of the
libs (here: 5).

I am sorry if this is obvious.

--
regards / pozdrawiam,
  Jaroslaw Staniek / OpenOffice Polska

* KDE3 & KDE4 Libraries For Developing MS Windows Applications:
                   http://www.kdelibs.com/wiki
See also:
* Kexi For MS Windows: http://kexi.pl/wiki/index.php/Kexi_for_MS_Windows
* Kexi Support:        http://www.kexi-project.org/support.html