List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Flake requirements.
From:       Boudewijn Rempt <boud () valdyas ! org>
Date:       2006-04-18 10:41:55

On Tue, 18 Apr 2006, Thomas Zander wrote:

> On Tuesday 18 April 2006 09:26, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> > On Friday 14 April 2006 19:23, Thomas Zander wrote:
> > > I actually designed the new pages in KWord to avoid this problem by
> > > making a page either left, right or a pagespread.  I.e. you would
> > > just have a bigger page in between.
> >
> > Oh, good! How about the gutter?
>
> What about it?  I intended not to have any.
> Looking at your average glossy magazine I see
> a) text that certainly has a margin from the page edge; KWord does that
> with margins as well.
> b) images that are on both pages. You don't want any gutter there.
> Is there a situation I missed where a page-gutter is needed?

I thought about the situation where you have a big map that's spread over two
pages, but with a margin in between the two halves so nothing gets obscured
by the binding.

> For multi-column layout the normal gutter for those frames would be used.
>
> > > Well, its not needed by KWord per see.
> > > I'm not sure why it would be harder for svg objects.  All you need to
> > > do is rotate the painter before you pass it to that flake objects
> > > paint method.
> > > Actually rotating all the points in the svg (which is the
> > > alternative) seems like a harder nut to crack to me :)
> >
> > Well, if the outline shape shouldn't change, you'd need to clip the
> > result of the painter to the old shape. That might be hard. At least,
> > I'm sure I couldn't do that :-).
>
> You lost me, why would a rotated flake obj. not have its outline change?
> If I rotate a square the outline would naturally change (typically get
> bigger), just like in the example app.

I thought that was what you meant -- say, have a butterfly-shaped outline,
and then text inside rotated to 90 degrees. But I evidently misunderstood you.

Boudewijn