List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Flake requirements.
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-04-14 17:23:44

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Thanks for your fast reply :)

On Friday 14 April 2006 17:49, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> On Friday 14 April 2006 13:43, Thomas Zander wrote:
> > - Allow a flake object to have a custom-draw border. The border could
> > be painted by painting a bitmap repeatedly, for example.
>
> That's dependent on the particular flake object or subclass, I think?
> Otherwise we would add a decorator class that can decorate the borders
> of flake objects. Not sure whether that fits in OpenDocument, but it's
> an attractive idea.

I'm leaning towards the decorator, yes.
Since the next item (the text runaround question) needs to know stuff from
the border as well we probably need some sort of border in all known
flake types.  Some objects will just have an instance of EmptyBorder.

> > - Have a way to ask a flake object how much space there is left
> > before there is a hit.
> > This is needed for text runaround; where text needs to run around a
> > flake object.  I need to have way of determining if a word will still
> > fit before I hit the object.
>
> We also need to be able to display one part of a flake object on one
> page, and the other part on the facing page.

I actually designed the new pages in KWord to avoid this problem by making
a page either left, right or a pagespread.  I.e. you would just have a
bigger page in between.

> > - Be able to rotate an object without changing the underlying shape.
> > By this I mean that I want to be able to rotate shape by just storing
> > the rotation angle. This separation is needed since I can't rotate
> > all text that is layed out inside a flake object :)
>
> You mean, rotate the content and then flow in the unrotated shape?

Yes.

> Would it work to make that dependent on the particular flake object
> subclass? Or would that be necessary for every flake object? It may be
> hard to do that with, for instance, svg objects.

Well, its not needed by KWord per see.
I'm not sure why it would be harder for svg objects.  All you need to do
is rotate the painter before you pass it to that flake objects paint
method.
Actually rotating all the points in the svg (which is the alternative)
seems like a harder nut to crack to me :)

--
Thomas Zander