List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: About 2.0
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-03-27 2:09:50

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Monday 27 March 2006 00:37, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> On Sunday 26 March 2006 01:53, Thomas Zander wrote:
> > I don't think we need an extra server (or process) for that; proper
> > locking and the advantage of using a broadcast call will be able to
> > do this properly.
> > And if that is too hard; I'd advocate for having a 'server' in an
> > extra thread in the first started document with other documents being
> > open following as slaves and things like a promotion to master when
> > the main server dies.  All simple but proven stuff to avoid having to
> > have an extra running process.
>
> The first suggestion should work fine, but I'm afraid that we'd get
> into trouble with the second suggestion if that process crashes.

I had in mind each document being a 'slave' of the master and thus having
all the information itself and then taking over for the crashed process
as soon as that would be needed.  (i.e. after user interaction)

I'm fairly sure a simple solution that is fail save enough can be created.
--
Thomas Zander