List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Consistency in tooltip dots
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-03-27 2:28:17

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

I got some reports from people that they noted some tooltips in kword to
have a trailing dot and others did not.  This is a bit upsetting and
basically ugly so I set out to change it.
I searched the whole of koffice and there are a total of 526 tooltip texts
(which you have to admit is a bit low!) and the majority of them were
without a trailing dot.  KSpread was consistent in using one and krita
was consistent in not using them, for example.

Next to it being the most used, I especially thought that single word
tooltips (think for toolbuttons) the dot at the end is ugly. So I just
committed a fix in trunk removing all trailing dots.
Well; I left a few; the places where there was a trailing elipses (which
is 3 dots exactly, not 2, not 4) or it ended in an abbreviation (like
"etc."). Last case is where there is more then one sentence in the
tooltip and the first sentence is indeed closed with a dot.

To summerize; please keep this in mind for new UIs; "Do not end tooltips
with a dot"

Thanks for reading!
--
Thomas Zander