List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: About 2.0
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-03-26 0:42:16

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Friday 24 March 2006 22:06, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> *** Common graphics object library (aka flake)
>
> Flake is designed to handle the user-handling of objects on the page.
> That means at the lowest level that flake objects correspond to frames,
> but flake objects are not bound to a rectangular frame. Flake objects
> can be subclassed to provide grouped objects, svg objects, kotext
> objects (here we need to integrate Thomas' work on non-rect. kotext
> frames),

I basically coded a proof-of-concept without refactoring KWords painting
and layouting code to actually use it (so it does not proof all of the
design, really).
This means I have quite a good idea about the requirements of the solution
and some ideas on how to implement it.  I just need to see how Flake fits
in there and if its good enough as is.
I'm working on other stuff (and basically having a holiday, still) so my
initial idea is to move my efforts to Flake by getting a good explenation
on its design by meeting Boud and working out our differences.

> Note: we need to make it possible for flake object to coordinate their
> contents with each other, so flake objects containting text can align
> their baselines, for instance.

Yeah, we need a document wide config object for things like baseline.
I identified just 2 things we need in each object for text-layout; a)
runaround hints, b) text-positioning-hints
Where b) is only needed for objects that actually let text flow inside
them.

--
Thomas Zander