List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: KSpread Kross API (help needed!)
From:       Tomas Mecir <mecirt () gmail ! com>
Date:       2006-02-17 13:39:43

On 2/17/06, Isaac Clerencia <isaac@warp.es> wrote:
> Hi,
> I've been working for a while in Kross integration in KSpread.
>
> It is already working (in playground/office), but I would like
> to get some feedback about the API that I should expose.
>
> You can have a look at the current Kspread Kross API at:
> http://wiki.kde.org/tiki-index.php?page=Kross%20KSpread
>
> My main problem is that I'm a spreadsheet illiterate, so I can't come with any
> useful example (I'm just testing that the API works correctly with dumb
> scripts like the one that appears in the wiki). I would be really happy if
> somebody could throw some ideas about what could be done with spreadsheet
> scripting, so I can be sure to expose the required functions to be able to
> write such scripts. Feel free to mail me any advice :)

Well. Most importantly, one needs to be able to access all the sheets
and cells - at least access to data held in cells is necessary. Not
sure how exactly kross works, but somehow providing access to the
KSpread::Value stored in a cell would be nice, as well as providing
formatted output and cell's formatting type. Other formatting stuff
like text attributes, cell borders, and the like, would be nice too,
but not really required.

And, of course, one needs to be able to set the values as well, not
just retrieve them. This alone can provide quite a complex scripting
support, and will give users access to all the spreadsheet functions
to do calculations with :)

/ Tomas