List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Joining koffice development team
From:       Philippe Rigault <prigault () oricom ! ca>
Date:       2006-02-05 16:10:28

Dear koffice developers,

After five years of unofficially contributing (a little bit) to the KDE
project, I would like to officially join the koffice team and spend more
effort on improving KDE.

So far, I have mostly filed bugs, packaged/tested KDE releases (since 3.0) and
deployed KDE in various business (three companies) and academic settings,
contributed to konstruct. This has worked well for me because the
improvements/bugs I contributed were small and non-invasive, so I could do it
through the bug system. Now that I have more ambitious plans and more
resources, I feel that the need for commit rights and closer coordination
with other developers is there.

I woule like primarily to contribute to:

1. Krita
 Help make it the tool of choice for digital photo edition, including
professional usage. I have been doing serious digital photography for 7
years, and my opinion is that there is still no adequate tool today for a
decent image processing tool that is both well-featured, compatible with
proprietary formats and scriptable (I have used many). I have followed krita
for a while, and its support for openEXR,  16-bit images and colour profiles,
convince me that I should code what I want in that tool. Here are the areas I
am interested in:

 - RAW filters
	- Generic framework for various CCD geometries
	- Improved algorithms for demosaicing (interpolation of CCD data -> RBG)
	- Full support for popular raw formats (e.g Nikon's NEF and Canon's CRW),
including EXIF data edition and 'Save as RAW'
 - TIFF filters
 - Added functions/interfaces for photo edition
 - Scripting for digital image processing pipeline

2. Kspread and Kexi
 Focus on polishing features needed in a business/academic setting:
compatibility with OpenOffice.org and MSOffice, interaction with databases,
web environments and scientific environments such as R.
I just partly rewrote the CSV export filter of kspread (see bug 121396), this
should give you an idea of my coding.

3. Being a university professor and a researcher (Universite Laval, Quebec), I
could contribute to events (maybe even help organize a KDE meeting in Quebec
in the future), developers (mainly university students) and KDE promotion. I
have direct access to many KDE users at my organization where I deploy the
computer infrastructure and maintain KDE, not to mention three avid users at
home who often know more than myself in the kids-oriented area of KDE.

Let me know wht you think of me joining the team, and feel free to ask
questions.

Best regards,

Philippe Rigault