List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Beta 1 imminent
From:       Gary Cramblitt <garycramblitt () comcast ! net>
Date:       2006-01-22 16:27:02

On Sunday 22 January 2006 09:41, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> I think I'll do the tagging and packing for beta 1 tonight after dinner,
> and I want to verify a couple of things:
>
> * Is OpenDocument enabled by default for KWord, KPresenter, KSpread and
> KChart?
>
> * Are all features we don't want to ship disabled?
>
> * We'll need a list of known issues for beta 1; can everyone mail their
> known issues in answer to this mail? I'll assemble them in the course of
> next week for the release notes of this beta.
>
> Note: I may be around tomorrow during the day, but tomorrow night we've got
> a developer's pow-wow from the place where I work about the future (if any)
> of that outfit, and I will probably be unavailable until quite late at
> night, if at all.

KWord Document Structure Area does not refresh when:

  1.  A paragraph is deleted.
  2.  The name of a frameset is changed.
  3.  There are probably other cases.

The Text-to-Speech (TTS) capability is currently present in all KOffice apps
whose main window derives from KoMainWindow, which is all of them except Kexi
AFAIK.  However, ATM only KWord, KSpread, and KPresenter have a TTS
configuration dialog in Settings (and it only appears if you have KTTSD
installed).  I've been hoping to get feedback on the usefulness of TTS before
we commit to including TTS in the final product.  So far, I received only one
feedback and that was someone who was dyslexic and wanted to know if the
feature highlights each word as it is spoken.  It doesn't and such a
capability would be quite hard to do given our current architecture.  So we
have several options:

  1.  Remove the TTS feature from KOffice.  If we want to do this, it is
fairly easy to do so.

  2.  Issue Beta 1 as it is and hope for feedback, then make a decision before
final release.

  3.  Go ahead and commit to the TTS feature and add the TTS settings dialog
to the rest of the KOffice apps.  Would only require a few days of work, but
I doubt I can complete that by tonight.

  4.  Only enable the TTS feature in KWord, KSpread, and KPresenter.  Avoid
creating the KoSpeaker object in the rest of the KO apps.

I recommend alternative 2 at this time.

I haven't yet added the Accessibility sections to the Handbooks.  I planned on
working on that today, but might not be finished by tonight.  OK to go ahead
with that now?

--
Gary Cramblitt (aka PhantomsDad)
KDE Text-to-Speech Maintainer