List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Unnecessary files in the 1.5 beta1 tarball
From:       Jaroslaw Staniek <js () iidea ! pl>
Date:       2006-01-21 11:36:20

Martin Ellis said the following, On 2006-01-21 01:28:

> On Friday 20 January 2006 23:35, Jaroslaw Staniek wrote:
>
>>For the same reason we're not providing .xpm files and recreate them to
>>.png, and the same reason we're not not providing requiring running 'make
>>-f Makefile.cvs'. Intrmediate files are not what user's, who compile the
>>stuff, care about.
>

> Huh?  Why would a user care what's in the tarball?
>
> A 'naive' user won't even compile an app anyway.

I said "users, who compile the stuff".

> A intermediate user will be able to compile it, but not care about how it gets
> built, so long as it does.
>
> An advanced user will be interested in the logical structure of the DB,
> and may find the SQL script instructive.

This is why I've put ksqlite utility into the distribution. No need to provide
the same data saved in intermediate formats.
.sql file is not a _source_ file that loses some information after importing
into sqlite binary file. It's the same data with other representation. This
has nothing to do with knowing the data structure as well since it's raw SQL
data, the same can be obtained by entering .schema command from the command line.

> Nobody cares if something is auto-generated - unless they actually need to
> install a new dependency to generate it.

But you don't need to put .sql files inside a tarball. The same with 2
megabytes of doc/handbook/ and most of doc/dev/.

>>Let's keep simple things simple, unlike in OO.org build
>>system.
>

> What, like this? :o)
>
> "This directory contains example Kexi database files in SQLite 3.1 format,
> distributed with Kexi source package.
> If you are using Kexi source code obtained from KDE Subversion repository,
> you can see .kexi.sql files here instead of .kexi files. This make it easier
> to track changes in the Subversion repository."

.sql files are what you asked for on IRC yesterday.
This is info text for users of SVN version, infisible for the tarball users.

--
regards / pozdrawiam,
  Jaroslaw Staniek / OpenOffice Polska

  Kexi Developer:      http://www.kexi-project.org | http://koffice.org/kexi
  Kexi Support:        http://www.kexi-project.org/support.html
  Kexi For MS Windows: http://kexi.pl/wiki/index.php/Kexi_for_MS_Windows
  KDE3, KDE4 Libraries For Developing MS Windows Applications:
                       http://www.kdelibs.com/wiki