List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: State of kugar: was: Re: kudesigner crash before startup
From:       Dag Andersen <danders () get2net ! dk>
Date:       2006-01-20 12:18:32

On Fredag 20 januar 2006 12:44, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> On Friday 20 January 2006 12:38, Dag Andersen wrote:
> > Wether we are going to use kugar in the future depends (imho) on
> > ui improvements, integration of kudesigner with kplato (and
> > koffice), what happends with other report initiatives in koffice.
>
> The problem is this release. Currently, the application bit of
> Kugar (I don't know anything about the quality of the generated
> reports) is bad enough that it'll hurt 1.5 if we include it.
Agree with that. Also kugar can't be used stand-alone, it needs some
other app to produce data for it.

> > I have discussed (mostly with myself) To Include, Or Not To
> > Include, and got the answer: "Well, it's there, not usefull for
> > much as is, but I can't see it hurts to leave it in, and we can
> > always easily remove it later if we want to."
>
> You don't want to give people something that's not useful for much
> -- they may think "it's released, it should work, right? What am I
> doing wrong", and that would waste their time and make them feel
> bad. Better not include things that make users feel bad.
You can use that argument against kplato as a whole, it's not going to
be much use for most people ;) It's a 0.x release and will obviously
lack many essential functions for serious use. (The main thing imo is
to generate some interrest.)
I would have loved to have something like 'extras' to really indicate
to people that this isn't quite up to koffice standards.
--
Mvh,
Dag Andersen