List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Linux Format: KSpread "disaster area"
From:       Raphael Langerhorst <raphael.langerhorst () kdemail ! net>
Date:       2006-01-14 14:26:16

Am Samstag, 14. Januar 2006 15:10 schrieb Robert Knight:
> I agree, I really don't think there is much point in trying to achieve
> perfect compatibility with Excel.  The OO.org hackers have put a lot
> of effort into this, more than we probably could.  A better (more
> stable) Excel import / export filter that can handle most of the
> features KSpread supports would definitely be welcome though.

In my experience the KSpread Excel import filter does often a _better_ job at
importing Excel files than OOo. Except that KSpread doesn't import charts or
the like.

It's only that we don't have an "export" filter for Excel.

> Having said that, I think that when we market KSpread, we should be
> clear than OpenOffice is a better alternative for people who need to
> work with complex Excel spreadsheets.

And just then, when there is need for an Excel export filter, then OOo Calc is
certainly better / the only choice.

Only for big Excel files KSpread might not be the best choice as it is slower
with large amounts of data.

This experience is based on OOo 1.1.x and KOffice 1.3 / 1.4

And I have seen really a _couple_ of Excel files better imported in KSpread
than OOo, and hardly the other way round. Do you all have different
experiences? I would be surprised.

KOffice has some aspects, even in the "main" applications like KWord, KSpread
and KPresenter that OOo just lacks or does poorly. Really, we need not talk
KOffice worse than it is.

Regards,
--
Raphael Langerhorst